About This Blog

For several years now, I've kept the blog Step Back and Look Again, which I've written in from time to time about my thoughts, philosophy, politics, or just rants in general. This blog was an experiment. While time and circumstances have not allowed me to post as frequently as I've wanted to, it did give me somewhere to put my ideas, and practice writing them out for others to read. But it is a general purpose blog without any specific point to it beyond giving me a soapbox, and I began it at a time where my ideas on a few topics were still in flux.

Ethics, particularly in the context of social and political ethics, has long been a major interest of mine. I have found myself highly dissatisfied with most of the existing philosophies, so I have endeavored to develop my own. This philosophy has now reached a stage of development where I feel like I can share it openly with the world. While there is still more work to be done, and still more details to flesh out, I believe the general philosophy itself is sound. And, besides, the nature of this philosophy is that individuals and communities should, in many cases, fill in the blanks for themselves.

I call my philosophy Mutual-Autonomism, because it's based on something I call the Ethic of Mutual-Autonomy. Briefly summarized, this ethic states that we ought to respect one another's autonomy, bearing in mind the things which make this autonomy possible or which can limit it. There is more to the ethic than that, of course. But it is on this ethic that the larger philosophy of Mutual-Autonomism is built.

In the acknowledgments of Konkin's New Libertarian Manifesto, he attributes the following piece of advice to one Chris R. Tame, "Don't get it right, get it written." This advice, I believe, is as valuable as anything else Konkin wrote in his manifesto. And this is why I have created this blog: to explain Mutual-Autonomism in greater detail, from both a philosophical and a practical angle, as well as to comment on issues or matters which are relevant to this philosophy. I intend to use it as a manifesto until a more formal and comprehensive one can be written, and as a means to transmit and promote my ideas. That is, this blog is to have a more focused purpose than my previous one. As such, I will probably continue to maintain Step Back and Look Again as a place for general rants or philosophical matters not directly relevant to Mutual-Autonomism.

I am not above updating, correcting, or elaborating ideas as need be – so expect the occasional revision of posts. As I said, I am still developing many parts of this philosophy. I do not claim that it is perfect or impervious to improvement, or that I am incapable of error.

Lastly – I thrive off of feedback. Whether it's criticism or encouragement, I invite comments and discussion on any of my posts. If you find a problem, point it out. If you object to a point, innumerate your objection. If you learned something new, let me know. I won't even object to a comment made sheerly for the lulz and keks.

Thank you for reading. And thank you to the many out there who have already contributed to the development of Mutual-Autonomism – many unwittingly.

Comments